Ahhh…springtime. The flowers are blooming and the days are getting warmer. It’s a time filled with new beginnings and that’s why we like to kick it off by cleaning house. But besides physically scrubbing the floors and dusting the shelves, there are other things you can do to jump-start the new season and we’ve listed 5 ways to do so below!
Downsize Your Wardrobe
We all have an area in our closet with clothes that no longer fit, are out of style, or simply never get worn. And each time we go in there we see that pile/mountain/blackhole and admittedly avoid it at all cost! Well now’s the time to be brave and sort through it. A helpful tip to getting started is labeling separate bins to throw things in as you go. In the end, you’ll not only free up some space, possibly find that shirt you lost ages ago, and see a more organized closet, but you can also give back by donating your unwanted items.
Declutter Your Workspace
Some people thrive in an organized mess; however, studies show that a clean workspace improves productivity and helps keep you focused. Just a few simple changes can declutter your desk and make your work environment less stressful:
- Purge your office supplies - keep the things you frequently use on your desk. The items you don’t use as often can be stored in drawers and organizers.
- Reduce your paper use - you can organize and be green at the same time by storing documents digitally. It will clear up your desk and cabinets and keep everything you need at the reach of your fingertips.
- Have a place for everything - one reason desks get messy is because we have too many items out of place. Setting aside 5 minutes at the end of your day to put everything back where it’s supposed to be can help keep your area clean.
Rearrange Your Home
As you’re moving things around to clean, why not fully embrace this season of change and rearrange the layout of your living space! This can be a great excuse to freshen up the decor and get creative with what you’ve got. If you want to take it to the next level, try following some feng shui techniques like clearing clutter and keeping accessories minimal yet meaningful, introducing plant-life to liven up your space, and allow as much natural light as possible. You’ll start to feel the flow of positive qi (energy) in no time!
Incorporate Healthier Eating Habits
While it’s important to take care of your home during spring cleaning, it’s just as important to take care of your health. Approaching the idea of spring cleaning your eating habits is easy – just start by literally cleaning out your refrigerator and pantry. Remove the processed, sugar-filled junk food and when you go grocery shopping choose fresh and healthy options rather than those comfort foods. You can also cleanse your diet by cutting back on alcohol, sugar, and eating out. Your goal doesn’t have to be to lose weight, but eating cleaner is a great start to achieving an overall healthier lifestyle!
Cleanse Your Mind
It’s easy to see what needs cleaning around the house but have you ever thought about cleansing your mind? Spring is all about renewal and revitalization and if your New Year’s resolutions have already fallen by the wayside, now is the perfect time to get back on track! You can:
- Create a vision board – perfect for seeing your goals, not just setting them. Keep it somewhere you will regularly see it, like your bedroom or office.
- Start using a planner – you can write down those important dates or deadlines and at the same time clear out some mental space.
- Begin a meditation regimen – set aside at least 10 minutes a day for meditation and deep breathing. This will allow you to reset your mind and it is great for reducing stress.
Will you be adding any of these tips to your Spring Cleaning Checklist? Let us know below!